I present to you…. The Pepper STEAK! Ok well, not the most appetizing name so lets French it up a bit. Steak Au Poivre! Yeah there we go. Baby we’re eatin Steak Au Poivre!
🔪Prep Time 10 minutes
🛁Sous Vide Time 2 hours @130F/54.4C
👨🍳Seared: Cast Iron Skillet
🥩 Total Time 2 hour 20 minutes
- 1lb Beef Tenderloin (Portioned into two filets)
- Corse Ground Black Peppercorns to taste
- 2 tbps Avocado Oil
- 2 tbps butter
- 50ml Cognac (the mini bottles work great)
- 1/2 Cup Heavy Cream
- 1/4 Cup Beef Stock
Once you have you filets, salt them to taste. As this is a Pepper steak, we’re going to use whole peppercorns. The pepper needs to be pretty coarse. You don’t want a real fine and powdery pepper or its just going to burn in the pan quickly. Couple ways to accomplish this
- Mortar and Pestle – to smash them peppercorns
- Meat Tenderizer – Put the peppercorns in a bag and pound away (great for getting any excess anger out
- Pepper Grinder – Especially one with an adjustable coarseness
If using a vacuum sealer you can go ahead and place right in the bath. In place of a nicely vacuum Sealer bags you’re going to want to use the water displacement method which is achieved by using zip locks and submerging the protein in the water till most of the air is out of the bag. Then secure the bags to the side of the Sous Vide Container with binder clips.
Set your Anova Precision Cooker to 130F/54.4C and place bag in bath for 2 hours.
After the filets are cooked and removed from the bag and dry it well.
While your Filets finish up. Gather the rest of your ingredients. Mise en place like you read about. That more french. Sorry. Everything in it place. You’ll be using these to make your pan sauce.
Another reason why this recipe is the best? Only requires the one pan. For this we’ll be using the Cast Iron. While Im not going to put a picture in for the steps, heres how to finish up this pan Sauce.
- Pat you filets dry. Don’t wipe, we want to keep most of that pepper on.
- Heat your Cast Iron over medium to medium high heat. We want it hot but not exactly ripping. When its lightly smoking, add in the avocado oil and then the butter till its foaming.
- Crack some more coarse peppercorns onto your steak and place it in the pan. Searing Each side for about a minute and then sear the sides (about another minute)
- Remove the filets from the pan and drain all of the fats (oil/butter) out. You do want to keep the peppercorns and crispy bits in the pan tho. That will help the sauce. While you are still off the heat with the pan, add the cognac (careful here as a light flare up is possible).
- Back on the heat and cook off all of that alcohol smell. Add the beef stock, simmer and reduce by half.
- Add Cream and bring to a boil. Reduce to a simmer and cook till it coats the back of a spoon. About 4-5 minutes ish.
Obligatory Sliced pic, because I care about you, the reader. Now go on, go be a date night hero or if its just you, you can be your own hero. Thats totally cool too.
Thank you for checking us out. Have you cooked this recipe? What did you think? Comment below if you do or you have a question. Please go ahead and subscribe to the blog below so you will be the first to be notified when I post new ones. Check out our social media’s (Instagram, Facebook, Pinterest) and go ahead and share this blog with a friend. See ya next time!
Equipment List Links:
Vacuum Sealer: Anova Vacuum Sealer
Vacuum Seal Bags: Anova Pre Cut Vacuum Sealer Bags
Vacuum Seal Rolls: Anova Rolls Vacuum Sealer bags
Sous Vide Circulator: Anova Nano
Sous Vide Circulator: Anova Pro
Sous Vide Container: Anova Sous Vide Container
Chef Knife: Wustoff Chef Knife
Meat Church Rub: Meat Church Rub
BBQ Sauce: Lillies Smokey Hot
Sheet Pan With Wire Rack: Sheet pan with a rack
Meat Tenderizer: Meat Tenderizer
Mortar and Pestle: Mortar and Pestle