**Links to all products mentioned at the bottom of the page**
The Anova Sous Vide Circulator was my first, an amazing gift that has spawned a love for cooking. Throughout my time with Sous Vide, Anova has set itself apart when it comes to the Circulator game but thats all they had been to me. Look in my kitchen and it is littered with different brands that are ok to use for SV but not designed specifically for the SV cook. Well this changed a couple of months ago. That is when Anova launched its new line of Sous Vide accessories. Designed specifically with the Sous Vide home cook in mind. The new Anova line includes Anova Vacuum Sealer, Anova Pre Cut Vacuum Sealer Bags and the Anova Sous Vide Container. This will be a down and dirty review from home cook who uses his SV a lot. For disclosure, Anova did send me these products. However this is not a paid review and I have No affiliation with the company.
First impressions are always important and this made a great one. Very Professional packaging. looking and bright. All things I expect from Anova.
Anova Vacuum Sealer – If you’ve never used a vacuum sealer in conjunction with your SV you have been missing out. It makes life a lot easier. I use mine a lot to prepare food, vacuum seal and then freeze for a later date. When I am ready to cook, I can transfer right from the freezer to the bath. How does the Anova Sealer stack up?
- Small and portable. This sealer measures 16.7 x 4.8″ x 3.4″ and is only 2.3lbs! Can carry with one hand. Fits in places around my kitchen that my former vacuum sealer could never dream of.
- Quiet – From the first time I hit seal it was noticeably quieter than ones I have used in the past
- Pulse function– This is a big one for the SV folk and I believe this is what sets it apart from other vacuum sealers on the market. This function allows you to control the vacuum. This is especially useful when trying to seal with liquids.
- Jury still out-
- The sealer has two independent places where the top Locks in place with a click. After you seal you have to press two buttons to release. While I haven’t noticed an issue yet could this be a possible breaking point in the future? Also a few times I have gone to seal and I had only locked one side. Problem? not really. But a minor inconvenience.
Anova Pre Cut Vacuum Sealer Bags – With the vacuum sealer you have to have bags right? But are the bags an upgrade?
- The bags are offered in Pre cut sizes and rolls. If you cant fit your food in the pre cut size (they are rather roomy) then you can cut your desired size from the roll.
- On the pre cut bags, anova has built in a tab that you can tear to open when your food is done. This means no more having to use scissors to cut.
- Jury still out
- These bags are thinner and I wonder how they will they hold up to freezing. They are said to be able to freeze proteins just as well as any bag.
Anova Sous Vide Container – I wont hide it, I really think Anova knocked it out of the park with this container. It is very well thought out and has everything you would need in a container.
- Pros- Built in Handles to move the container around and not feel clumsyBuilt in Trivet on the bottom of the container. At high temp cooking with other containers there is a ton of heat transfer from the container to the kitchen surface. In other containers, you would need to put a towel underneath to stop the heat transfer. Not this one.Rounded vs square – This increases the ability for the water to circulate more efficiently and heat faster.Comes with a Lid – Ive owned a couple of container lids in my day and this one is way above any of those. The lid has an almost air tight seal around its rubber gasket. Its rubber Circulator opening Fits all cookers! Comes with a rack that sits underneath the lid. This can be multi use. By filling the water past the rack, you will never have to worry about floating vacuum bags ever again! If you’re using ziplock bags, it will give you a place to secure your bag to without having to hang it outside the container.
- Common misconception
- One big misconception I still continue to see is that the price point for this product is wrong. This is just not true. If you price any container out with a lid and a rack, you come very close to the price of this product and you still would be getting an opening that prob only fits one circulator. It is not cheap by any stretch of the imagination but it certainly isn’t wildly off.
In conclusion, it is great to see some innovation around SV and Anova continues to push and improve its line. I think all of these products are definitely worth a look. If you are looking to get your first set up I think these are the way to go. If you already have gear, I think it would be a little harder of a decision but they are def an upgrade from what is out there right now. Links to all these products will be down in the Equipment list below!
Any questions? Comment below and I will respond to them all. If you enjoyed this, check out our social media’s and go ahead and share this blog with a friend you know is looking to get into SV. If you want to be the first to see our new cooks, subscribe to the blog through the bottom of this page. See ya next time!
Equipment List Links:
Vacuum Sealer: Anova Vacuum Sealer
Vacuum Seal Bags: Anova Pre Cut Vacuum Sealer Bags
Vacuum Seal Rolls: Anova Rolls Vacuum Sealer bags
Sous Vide Circulator: Anova Nano
Sous Vide Circulator: Anova Pro
Sous Vide Container: Anova Sous Vide Container
Chef Knife: Wustoff Chef Knife
Meat Church Rub: Meat Church Rub
BBQ Sauce: Lillies Smokey Hot
Sheet Pan With Wire Rack: Sheet pan with a rack
Meat Tenderizer: Meat Tenderizer